This week I checked off:
- kitchen desk
- foyer closet
- utility closet
- I took everything out of my desk and put it on my bed.
Then I sorted it into these categories:
- Paper (in piles and files) and Product Manuals (in binders)
- Matthew’s paper tray
- Office Supplies
- Gift Cards
- Library/Store Cards
- Kids’ bank books and cash (in tin)
- Items to repair
2. I surveyed the damage. I observed that there was stuff with no assigned homes, too much paper, things I never use, and that my paper filing system was not simple enough. I decided to keep paper separate as it is listed on my checklist as a “Major Project”.
3. Step 3 is to ruthlessly eliminate. I don’t think I was ruthless, but I eliminated stuff and I was happy that most of the things I returned to my desk are things I use regularly. (I may not use the sticky tabs often, and I kept a few paper clips that I may not need.)
Next was the foyer closet. I removed 2 games with the kids’ permission, and 24 hangers.
I noticed I’d like to replace the ironing board cover. I started a wish list. (Maybe I’ll get one for Christmas.)
I took everything out of the utility closet. (See below.) I sorted into these categories:
- cleaning supplies
- children’s medicine
- first aid
- bandages & tape
- sunscreen/bug spray
I got rid of old stuff, and reorganized.
The pantry was a mess. I forgot to take a before picture, and I’m glad I did. Here is the after picture.
It will be a little more filled up after our next food shopping trip. Those Easter pails will be stored in the basement with the Easter decorations after more candy is eaten. I am pleased that everything in here has a home. Most of the shelves are labeled with a category name and a little list of what goes on the shelf. This is school vacation week, so I am expecting to declutter for a block of time each day. I may even post more frequently.